WRAG Radio Raggedy

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Candle For Don Covay (March 24, 1936 - January 31, 2015)


 Rest In Peace, Don Covay!
Thank you for the beautiful music you gave us.

And another heartache for those of us who appreciate the kind of music that deserves to be called "soul."
Don Covay, whom I consider one of my favorite singers, has passed away January 31. My sincere condolences to the friends and family of Mr. Covay.
The first song I ever heard by him was (of course) "She Checking In While I Was Checking Out." That as way, way back when I was a newcomer to the world of soul music. Looking back, I can trace my growing love for soul; it started with Percy Sledge, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett -- the artists that nowadays I would call mainstays of soul music. The more I listened to them, the more I wanted to explore this genre, stumbling upon lesser known artists such as Don Covay and Bobby Womack, for example.
Keep in mind that all this happened in Germany where soul was not the most popular music at that time. Blues, however, was becoming quite popular, in part because some of the great blues men had moved to Europe and were well received there.
Anyway ... I am digressing.
Don Covay's "Checkin' In ..." really shocked me because of the almost brutal reality it described. The young romantic girl I was back then had heard of such affairs, of course, but most of the time the people involved were celebrities or royalty -- not everyday people as described in the song. Also, most of the time, men were the perpetrators. But everyday married women with children? No way ... lol
Said song is very well known, and I won't post it here. There are so many, many good and even great songs Don Covay wrote, co-wrote and sang, it would be a shame not to pick one of those.




No comments: