WRAG Radio Raggedy

Monday, September 21, 2009

J. J. Barnes -- Another Underrated Singer With An Extraordinary Voice

Here is one excellent vocalist who has -- hereabouts -- been waiting in vain for the recognition he deserves. What a shame! J. J. Barnes's voice resembles Marvin Gaye's, and in my opinion, he sounds best on such ballads like Time Is Love and I Just Make Believe (I'm Touching You). His most popular recordings, though, are typical Northern Soul titles like Baby, Please Come Back Home and Sweet Cherry.
You Are Just A Living Doll has been sampled by Raekwon, which I found out through ((sawyer)) once again. Thanks!
The "bonus track" You Owe It To Yourself (part 1) is from his 1973 album Born Again.
For an informative interview with the artist, please visit TheHookandSling blog.

James Jay Barnes was born in 1943 in Detroit, Michigan. After a rather productive, but little successful, career with various American labels, he followed an invitation by Edwin Starr to come to the UK to perform. The shows turned out to be successful, and J. J. was signed to the British label Contempo records.
He has become a favorite British Northern Soul artist, performing live in England frequently.

Time Is Love


I Just Make Believe (I'm Touching You)



You Are Just A Living Doll




Bonus: You Owe It To Yourself (Part 1)

If you'd like to get compilation of J. J. Barnes's material to start a collection of his music, I would recommend the Soul Twins album.
Now, is there anyone else who's as impressed with the man as I am?

No comments: