WRAG Radio Raggedy

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Z. Z. Hill -- That Means So Much To Me, Love Me



(In this pic. Z. Z. made sure to wear a shirt matching the colors of SOTS ...) 

Here's a man who apparently has the same taste I have when it comes to music. He cites, among others, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, B. B. King and Bobby Blue Bland as musicians that influenced his own music. His name came up when I was checking on some Malaco albums this morning -- and I thought he'd be a good candidate for a Wednesday post.

I don't know what it is about him that I like. His voice doesn't blow me away, and there are more songs by him I don't care for than the other way around. But his Down Home album, which in 1982 bestowed on him a triumphant comeback after his career had hit a low, sure is quite pleasant to listen to.
AOL.com calls the album "impressive," and states that it "remained on Billboard's soul album charts for nearly two years, an extraordinary run for such a blatantly bluesy LP."
I call it a bit on the commercialized Blues side reminding me of Bobby Bland's approach to the Blues on his Members Only album.
Anyway, although I do consider these two songs neither true Blues nor true Soul, they have a nice southern dragging-drawl "feel" to them.

Love Me


That Means So Much To Me




No comments: