WRAG Radio Raggedy

Monday, December 30, 2013

Timmy Shaw -- "Thunder In My Heart"


Give me a nice deep soul track, and I am a happy gal ... Don't ask me what it is about deepies that make me love them. It's probably the genuineness and lack of pretentiousness in these songs that attract me. Anyway, when I first heard this tune, I knew exactly that I would love it enough to be included in my favorites play list ... And there it stayed for good.

Timmy Shaw was born Jake Hammonds (Hammond) in Detroit September 13, 1938. He is another talented artist who would have vanished into oblivion if there weren't such sites as Sir Shambling's. 
He recorded for different labels between 1960 and 1967 and was a protege of  Detroit legend Johnny Mae Marhews'. (In 1961, the two recorded the single "I Don't Want Your Loving").

Timmy Shaw was an excellent singer with a heavy dose of gospel fervor and RandB grit in his voice. He should have been a successful star ... Yet despite such good material as "Throw It Out Your Mind", for example, and "Can't We Make This Love Last," he never managed to receive the recognition he deserved. 


Timmy Shaw died in March 1984.


My favorite tune is "Thunder In My Heart," the A-side (b/w "No More") of a 1963 release for BON 003.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nice one that I hadn't heard before, Raggedy.

Raggedy said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Isn't it amazing how many good music lies buried in some vaults somewhere?