WRAG Radio Raggedy

Monday, November 9, 2009

Syl Johnson -- Is It Because I'm Black


I've found this clip in my inbox this morning, and -- what can I say -- I was completely fascinated. I know this song very well, but I haven't played it in a long while. When I found it's Reggae version by Ken Boothe, I used to play that one quite a bit. Ken does a decent job, but he doesn't come anywhere near to the original.

Anyway -- I stumbled upon the "unplugged" version this morning, and I have to say, its unadorned, spontaneous rendition kept me glued to the monitor. It hit me head on, without anything shielding me from its impact, so to speak.  How's that for a Monday morning starter?
And since I like to share the good things life has to offer, I knew right away, I had to post it.

Thanks Soultaker for the inspiration!

Here's the original song:

The Reggae version with Ken Boothe:

No comments: