WRAG Radio Raggedy

Friday, August 21, 2009

Two Versions of "Lovers Concerto" : The Toys vs The Delfonics



How surprised do you think your ol' raggedy was when she happened to find the Delfonics' cover of A Lovers Concerto in her very own music library? Well ... she was very surprised. I knew that the song had been covered by dozens others, and of all, I loved both Cilla Black's and the Toys versions best. But I had not heard the Delfonics interpretation.
The Toys recorded the song first in 1965, and it is said that the musicians are in fact the mighty Funk Bros. I have no idea whether that is true or not. But they sure sound like them. I have never heard of the label DynoVoiceRecords that released the Toys version and whether it was a studio where the Funk Bros. did some of their well-known (despite unauthorized)
moonlighting ...

Anyway, the song is great and I'm going to post both versions for you to compare.
The Delfonics version is from their 1968 album La-La Means I Love You from which a remastered CD is available .

No comments: