WRAG Radio Raggedy

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Original and Cover "Walk Away Renee"

I've always loved this song because of it's emotionality. It is one of those compositions that reach deep, deep into the realm of feelings one does not want to experience: The forlornness, pain, anguish that comes with losing someone you deeply love.

Even after decades of listening to such heart-wrenching songs, I don't understand why I like them so much. The human psyche is a mysterious thing...

Also, after all the years listening to the Four Tops version of "Walk Away Renee," I just found out that the original was by a group from New York named Left Banke. The group's lead singer Michael Brown co-wrote the piece.

I think the Four Tops did the right thing to keep their rendition as closely as possible to the original.
Although I love both versions, Levi's voice, though, is the key to make the song the classic it became.



No comments: