WRAG Radio Raggedy

Friday, June 21, 2013

Lovers Rock Friday




Friday! Time for you guys to throw that tie into the next best corner and for the ladies to leave those high heels where you took them off -- two steps into the hall way. Now all that's missing is an ice-cold drink and some Reggae music. Don't be stingy with the volume. Turn it up!

Today's set contains two all time favorites of mine. First, "Teenager In Love" by Bob Marley and The Wailers. It is a cover of the Dion and The Belmonts song composed by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman. The original was released in 1959 (Gosh, I was a teeny tiny baby then). The Wailers' version came out in 1965. If you're able to focus on anything else while you are moving to the beat, try to listen to that saxophone part, and if you happen to know who plays that sax, please, please let me know. 

Second, Desmond Dekker's "My Precious Love." All I can say is that this song is hauntingly beautiful. Desmond Dekker, the man with an angelic voice definitely has conquered my heart. "My Precious Love" was released in 1969 as the B-side of "It Miek." In my opinion, it should have been the other way around, though.









Tracks

Moonlight Groover -- Winston Wright
Teenager In Love -- Bob Marley & The Wailers, 1965 
All My Loving -- Prince Buster  All Stars
What Dos It Take -- Alton Ellis 
Spanish Lace -- Byron Lee and The Dragonaires
My Precious Love -- Desmond Dekker and The Aces,, 1969

Enjoy!



No comments: