WRAG Radio Raggedy

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The Eliminators -- "Try, Try, Try" and "Blood Donors Needed"

Today's post is from the 1974 album of the Eliminators "Loving Explosion." The album brims over with some great funk. But you know me -- I love me some sweet "make-me-mushy" love song. 

According to Discogs, the song was written by Alonzo Tucker, who "also worked with Jackie Wilson" and himself was a member of the Royals and Midnighters.

 Also interesting is their take on "Blood Donors Needed." I knew that song only by David Ruffin's 1973 Motown release. Although no one beats "my" David, The Eliminators' version isn't bad either. 

Curiosity led me to snoop around a bit and see if I could find some more info about the group. Apparently, they are also known as The Mighty Eliminators, (The page I linked to has some great pics of the group posted.)

Also, Levon Meyers the group's vocalist has a very short Youtube clip up.

(From a time when music was still hand-made by humans with talent and enthusiasm.)

Here's a list of the Eliminators' group members:

James Funches (saxophone, flute), Nathaniel Williams (bass), Clifford Little (congas), Carl Johnson (drums), Calvin Rhodes (guitar), Robert Burris (guitar), James Anderson (organ), Godosakahi Jordon (saxophone), Jonathan L. Robinson (trumpet, flugelhorn), Levon Meyers (vocals), Donald Clark (vocals, harmonica)


Maybe someone who knows a little more about the group would like to share that knowledge with us?












No comments: