WRAG Radio Raggedy

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Terry Collins -- "I L.O.V.E You"



I couldn't find much info on Terry Collins. Apparently he was a song writer and singer. He released several singles beginning in 1973. Today's pick was released on Kwanza in 1973. I like this track because it is a nice piece of Philly sound and because  his voice sounds like a perfect mix of David Ruffin and Teddy Pendergrass. It combines Ruffin grittiness and Pendergrass masculinity -- sort of.

His personal life, however, was a sad mess. According to Bobby Eli, one of the founders of MFSB and its lead guitarist,  
"Tery was one of the most talented people that I have worked with but unfortunately he was his own worst enemy and continuously got himself involved in "R. Kelly-itis" and wound up incarcerated on several occasions and I could not continuously keep bailing him out. The last time I heard from him was over a dozen years ago when He wrote me from jail once again attoning for his sins. Several years ago I heard from one of the Marcels who told me that Terry was "on the sreets" in Pittsburgh where he is originaally from.  What a waste of natural talent."     (Soulfuldetroit.com)
 


No comments: